Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Time?

During each Christmas season I become increasingly aware of time. How much I have, how much I don't, and how much I've wasted. We all agree that time is a very precious thing, yet we treat it as though we have more than enough - and contrary to where you think I was going with this - I think that's okay. I've realized this before but I'd like to say it again - The time we think is ours is NOT. Just like EVERYTHING else in this world that we think is owed us, time is just something we are given. Gandalf in "the fellowship of the ring" says something I think I can relate to. Frodo is whining something like "why me? why now? I wish this had never happened". Gandalf replies "So do all who live to see such times; but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." I thought it was a nice way to put it. J.R. Tolkein = genius. C.S. Lewis also writes something along those lines. That we are here because God put us here, and we were given time to do his will. (Emphasis on the period). It's funny how we forget that. By "we" I should say "I" because it's possible I'm the one soul on earth who hasn't realized it. It's also possible I'm just saying that because I feel the pressure of "needing more time to christmas shop blah blah blah" and I want to avoid feeling guilt at not getting people the things I wanted to get them. I know I should say something more profound and elaborate on these Ideas - but I just dont have the time right now :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Noelle said...

haha. it sounds like you're equivocating procrastination and a carpe diem like idea. I'm not sure but if you're suggesting to carpe diem and live the life God had graciously given us to the fullest, I love it. Whether that be lounging around reading lovely words or grabbing the next hold to finish a route, get out and enjoy every breath the Lord allows us to take and don't worry about "time."

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home